2.06.2010

a collection, of sorts

Being pregnant is so glamorous I just can't stand it any more! After yesterday's crazy appointment at my doctor's office, I kind of think I want to just throw in the towel and hide in a corner, and when the time comes, deliver this baby myself. Or make someone else have this baby for me. Is it too late for that?

So if you've been a long time reader of my blog, you know that I have been having dizzy spells for almost a year. February 20th will mark one year, and if you really want to refresh your memory, you can read my blog post about the dizzies here.

I had a baby appointment yesterday morning, a normal, routine check up. We're on to weekly appointments now, and they involve peeing in a cup, getting my tummy measured, listening to Carsten's heartbeat and having me pee in a small cup that I can't see. Oh, and then the doctor kindly listens to me bitch and gripe a little bit, and then she pats my butt and sends me on my way, saying GO TEAM! as I leave. Kind of.

This appointment was different. I didn't know it was going to be. If I had known, I would have brought Trask with me, but instead, I just took Taylor and figured we'd be in and out of the office in a flash, and why bother with Trask's work schedule. Right?

So Taylor and I start our appointment at 9:15. He asks awkward questions like why am I peeing in a cup and why they want mama's pee-pee. I made up silly answers and he was fine with that. He watched me get weighed and then in the exam room, he patiently sat on the bench and ate some fruit snacks.

When the time came, I mentioned to my sweet doctor that I have been still really dizzy and lightheaded, almost to the point of feeling like I am going to pass out, even if I am just sitting. This concerned her. She double checked that I drink lots of water. Yes, I do. Do I have headaches? Sometimes. Blurred vision? Nope. So she checks my blood pressure again and it's higher than it has been so far (aside from the end of my pregnancy with Taylor, when I almost broke the cuff and the gauge).

Since my BP was elevated, she wanted to hear my heart, to see what was making me dizzy. She did this a few times, and felt the pulse in my wrist on and off, too. After awhile, she finally told me that she heard my heart skipping a beat every once in awhile, so she decided I needed to go across the street to the hospital to have an EKG. Yay. BUT before I was to go to the hospital, I was instructed to go to THE LAB.

At the lab, I was given a big, glorified milk jug and a little trap, and have been instructed to collect all my PEE for 24 hours straight, and to keep it refrigerated. Good thing I don't have wild Friday nights planned anymore, I can't even imagine finding a cooler that would coordinate with my outfit that would be big enough to lug my pee jar around in. And people would ask questions. Or maybe they'd assume a small dog was in there and would want to see my pet. I'd show them my pee jar and I just don't think that's a good way to make friends. So off I go with my pee jar and instructions on pee trapping, and before I get out the door, they steal a vial or two of my blood, just because I haven't been degraded enough.

By the time I get out of the lab, Trask is there to help me out, so together we walk across the street to the hospital for EKG time. I liked having all the wires attached to me, I felt very futuristic and robotic, and I got to lay in a reclining chair. It was so comfy. I may ask to go back today, because the stupid couch here at home is not cutting it.

Anyway, you guys, I'm still collecting my pee. I have 3 more hours of doing so, and then I get to go turn it in, kind of like turning in a book report. The jug is heavy and it makes me kinda proud that I filled the whole thing up. I think I'll spare you the pictures though.

So, that's what I've been up to. And after reading this, are you guys going to go and suggest my blog to all your friends? Can't wait to meet them!

6 comments:

sassypackrat said...

You always tell such funny stories about things and the pee bucket is hilarious but I'm very concerned about the heart skipping and dizziness. As someone who has a heart condition and has experience with those symptoms I know how scary they can be. When you go in to have the baby, make sure they know about this. Please, please take care!

Much More Than Mommy said...

It takes skill to make peeing in a jug sound like so much fun! ;-) (I had to do that also for a test -- and I had to bring the thing to work with me. I worked for attorneys. They would not stop questioning me.) Praying for you!

Girl_Industries said...

This doesn't sound like a fun time, but I'm so glad your sense of humor is carrying you through. I've suffered from dizziness on and off for the last two or three years and can't get any help from my doctor. She even went so far as to tell me it's not humanly possible to feel dizzy while sitting down. So I'll be really keen to hear your experiences and whether your doctor can shed any light on it. Hang in there.

Sara said...

Shauna!
You are so funny!
I'm worried about you :( Hope everything is alright and you'll get good news when they analyze the jug!

Amber said...

Hang in there and just don't invite me over for lemon aid until you're done with this experiment.

w said...

so the results come back what... monday? when? i need to know the results.